Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fall Into Reading 2010 **Tuesday Question #5**October 26th

Fall Into Reading Question #8
Katrina asks us: 
Where do you get the books you read? Are you a faithful library patron? Or maybe a bookstore junkie? Do you exchange books with friends or family members?

I practically live at the library! I am there at least three days a week for an hour or better. VERY rarely do I go into the bookstore, only when my friend who works there calls and tells me that some really great books have hit the last clearance table. We have a great library at our church, too, and I drop off books I have picked up at Goodwill or yard sales frequently. It amazes me how many different Christian fiction writers there are and that I now know most by name :o) 
*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Fall Into Reading Question #7
This week Katrina asks us FIR participants: 
How did you get into reading? When and how/why did you really become “a reader”?

What really did it for me was having my tonsils removed at six years old. I had been a big TV watcher before that, yes, even at six I knew when Captain Kangaroo, Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow and Square One TV were on. I seldom missed them. BUT I found out after I got home from surgery that  
A) Mom had decided I was going to spend all day in the living room during the week I had to stay home and convalesce because I would not be able to call out to her if I needed something; the theory being if I was in the living room I could wave my arm around and she would see me :0) 
and
B) Being in the living room REALLY sucked, lmbo! I could NOT watch my tv programs because mom would not be able to hear her Price is Right or soap operas in the dining room :o( 

SO since I already knew how to read (not to brag but I was tested as having a sixth grade reading comprehension level in kindergarten) I started reading C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia" which a friend of the family had given my older sister for Christmas and which was, until I got a hold of them, still shrink-wrapped in plastic. I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in two days and went through the rest like wildfire. I have been a voracious reader ever since. 
*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Fall Into Reading Question #6 
Another scintillating question from Katrina @ Callapidder Days for FIR 2010:
Where do you love to read? Note: I don’t mean where do you actually do most of your reading, because that might be the carpool line, the work cafeteria, or even the bathroom (if you have to escape from a few small children in order to read a chapter of your book). I mean, what are a few of the places where you LOVE to read?

My first favorite place to read is in bed at the end of a long day. It is a very relaxing way to wind up the day and drift off to dream...

Second I have this little 'perch' sort of thing, like a deck kind of but not attached to the house. It is out across our front field and suspended between four trees overlooking the brook. When it is sunny and not too breezy I LOVE to take my lap throw, a thermos, my backrest pillow, and my book down there and sit in my 'fairy bower' and read. 
Last of all is...and to some this might be a sin, LOL...but I love to read at restaurants while I sip a coffee or tea or have a lite lunch or late snack. I like to get out and feel like I am part of something bigger than myself. 

Great question once again, Katrina! I have never shared those feelings and thoughts with anyone. 

Til next week, I'm off to read...
 
*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Fall Into Reading Question #5
This week Katrina asks us: 
When you read a book, do you read EVERYTHING? In other words, do you read the dedication, the acknowledgements, the foreword, the afterword, the prologue, the epilogue, the appendices, etc.? Or do you just read the “meat” of the book? Or is your approach somewhere in between?

I read much like Katrina does. I will skim the intro,  sometimes even the table of contents, if there is one. I read the dedication and the thanks at the end. I read ALL of the "meat" of the book, as she calls it. I even do this with cookbooks. 

I devour novels. My husband and I are VERY alike in that way. We both get very absorbed in our "escapist" literature and often when one of us speaks to the other, who has "book in hand" and is fully engaged the response we get first, and sometimes aggravatingly, is "HUH!?!" Which then brings about laughter; the conversation ended with the reader going back to "Hmmm, now, where was I?" and wistfully shaking their head...
*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Fall Into Reading Question #4
Another great mind-tickler from Katrina this week, folks! 
Do you ever dog-ear the corners of book pages to mark your spot? Or are you a faithful bookmark user, refusing to damage the pages of your books? OR do you have another way to keep track of where you are in a book?

Believe it or not, I can look at the page number and remember it. Sometimes I will put a book down for a few days and when I pick it up again I know RIGHT where I'm at. I don't like dog-earing pages (although my hubby does) because it is a)damaging to the book and b) an easy habit to fall into, even when the book is not yours but from a library. So I just don't do it. 

Also, bookmarks annoy me. I don't "invest" in fancy ones because more often than I will set it aside and then it gets shuffled into the bed covers, or I pass it on to one of the kids and it gets lost. SO, I don't use them either.  I have a mind for words and numbers and have always been able to look at the page and say in my brain "Oh, I'm on page 164." Close it up, go do whatever else, and when I come back I can open right up to page 164 and pick up where I left off. My hubby calls it "spooky," but I just laugh...My dh, after all, is one of those men who embody Alexander Graham Bell's quote, "When someone asks me my phone number I have to look it up. After all, I never call myself!" 

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Fall Into Reading Question #3
Katrina has a great question this week: 
Do you eat/drink while reading? If so, do you have some favorite reading snacks?

The answer is Yes!! I read & eat all time! I am VERY careful with my books, and also especially with library books, but I do sip 'n savor while I read. My favorite reading snacks are Bavarian crunchy pretzels. I love to sip on fizzy water, all different flavors, along with. If I am reading in the morning or its a chilly, damp day with rain falling outside my window I will whip up a mug of something warm and satisfying, usually a special coffee with flavored creamer topped with whipped cream and drizzle or sprinklies. 
*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Fall Into Reading Question #2
Last week Katrina posted a great question that made us think about what helps or hinders our reading time. This week she shares another terrific one!

What do you think about e-books? Do you engage in e-reading or do you prefer to stick to good ol’ physical books?
 I love e-books! Someday I will have a Kindle but for now I download quite a few titles on my iPod Touch both to use with OverDrive and with my Barnes and Noble e-reader app. I love the fact that if you an App enabled device and add the BN Reader app you get a library (free) of what are considered the greatest classic novels of all time. For me this was a treasure because I got (finally!) my own copies of Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility, Much Ado About Nothing, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet, and a veritable host of other fabulous books! It's definitely worth looking into if you are an e-book fan!
*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Fall Into Reading Question #1
Every week during Fall Into Reading Katrina, the hostess from Callapidder Days posts a question for us participants to answer. So here goes for week 1:

What do you think is the biggest obstacle to your reading? What prevents you from reading as much as you’d like? OR, if you feel like you already read as much as you want to, what choices have you made to make that happen?


Well, for me I read as much as I want to and the choices I have made that allow that are to be flexible but still have routines.   I am a FlyBaby. For those of you reading this who know what that means, I give you HUGE hugs and for those who don't, go here. I start my day with a set routine, get all my morning stuff done, get some work done around the farm, work on my school stuff for an hour with a 15 minute break at the end. Depending on how late in the morning it is I either start prepping or make lunch completely, fold and put away the laundry, clean up the kitchen and then if the  kids are home I institute a quiet 30 minute reading time. We all go to bed an hour earlier than lights out and read too, we read as a family every night for 45 minutes then the kids have 15 minutes of reading time in whatever book they've chosen. 


I also read after I go to bed myself, sometimes for two or three hours. When the kids are at dad's I will get sucked into a book and stay up reading all night...then get up and have coffee and do my routines, etc and then pick my book back up. I will read while stuff simmers or bakes, while bread rises, while I wait for pages to load on my dial-up PC...LOL!!


I read in the car on long trips (to me, 10 minutes to the grocery store is a long trip!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment